Sunday, March 5, 2017

26 February 2017

26 February 2017

I had an amazing experience on 21 February 2017 that was a turning point in my life that I was prompted to share with you. I woke up around 4:30 in the morning and was pondering what had happened to me that day and the thought came that I should share this experience with each of my children. With that in mind, would you please read this as a family at one of your family home evenings and pray that you will feel the spirit that I have within me 2000 miles away, for I know the Spirit has no limit to distance.

Last week, we were asked to help teach all of the ward consultants and high priest group leaders in the stake on February 26th about the “Find Take and Teach“ program that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day-Saints has been pushing in each ward in an attempt to turn the hearts of the children to their fathers and the heart of the fathers to their children. We know through scripture that if this does not happen, the purpose of the whole creation of the earth would be wasted. The importance of this challenge has rested upon me to try and teach my family and to invoke the protective blessings that are there for my children and generations yet to come.

Your grandfather and I were trying to find someone that would be willing to participate in this training session for the stake to create an experience that would turn their heart to their fathers and allow them to feel the power that is found in getting to know their ancestors. I was talking to one of our volunteers, Linda Martinez, who works with us in the family history center and was prompted to ask her if she would be willing to be a participant to help me learn the process so that we could teach it at this meeting. Since she works in the family history center and has been a consultant, she agreed and wanted to learn the process herself.   
Sister Linda Martinez FHC Volunteer 2-2017


I asked Linda if she was ever afraid when people would come in from countries all over the world for help when it was impossible to know how to research everywhere. She made a very important comment to me that I had forgotten about and that was she would use the WIKI in Family Search to get familiar with the country so she could help them the best she could.

So, step one of the process of “Find Take and Teach” is to prayerfully ask the question “What goal would you like to achieve in working with your ancestors?” When I asked her this question her answer was “I would like to have an original or primary document of some kind that would give proof that my great grandfather was from Ireland.” She had been looking for years and could not find anything. My heart sunk because I knew that I did not have the ability to do research of that magnitude. My research abilities were very limited and I have little analytical skills to pursue this request. Also, I had no idea how to do research in Ireland. I figured that those excuses were enough reason to change her request.

I quickly responded back to Linda that the “Find Take and Teach”  program was written to help patrons find an ancestor that they would be able to take to the temple and participate in an experience that could provide an opportunity for experiencing  the full blessings that can be found in temple. It was not for research projects. With the comment, Linda gave me another name that she needed help with that I was much more comfortable doing.

The problem I had was that her first request weighed heavily upon me in a way that became a driving force. I knew that the “Find Take and Teach” program was to turn hearts in any way we could and give them a spiritual experience.  Ireland is one of the hardest countries to find records because much of the records have been destroyed, but I knew that for some reason I needed to pursue her first request of proving that her line did go into Ireland. I was terrified of working this problem, and a few times during this period of time I almost decided not to offer to work on it but decided I would be lacking faith if I did.

Your grandfather and I went to a ward temple session on Saturday, and I prayed fervently for the help that I would need if I were to continue on with Sister Martinez’s request. I told both your grandfather, Golden, and Linda that If this project was successful it would only be through the power of prayer and that they would see a miracle and the divine guidance of my Savior in action.

As I sat in sacrament meeting on Sunday, I continued to pray for guidance in finding the information I needed from Ireland.  After church, I went back to my apartment and decided to see what I could do.
I met with Sister Martinez to get as much information as I could that would help me. On a torn envelope she wrote down the name of Patrick Barry born 25 December 1836 somewhere in Ireland. She had heard that he could have been in Queenstown, Cork or Skibbereen, or Cover (Cobh) but she did not know for sure of anything and that she thought he was Catholic.

I sat down in front of my computer and thought “Where do I begin?” The thought came to search in WIKI in Family Search. So I opened the WIKI and typed in Ireland. It showed several options that I could choose so I decided to try and find his baptism. I clicked on a few places not knowing what I was doing and within about 15 or 20 minutes there on the screen was Patrick Barry’s baptism. I took a deep breath and said the words, “Oh!! Look what I have found.” Your grandfather looked at me in surprise and came over to check it out and he confirmed that I had found Patrick’s baptism record. I knew without a doubt that my prayers had been answered. I called Sister Martinez and told her that I had found her great grandfather’s baptism record and she was stunned. She came down to see it and verify that what I had matched her family records. All of us knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that we had been a part of a miracle.  When your grandpa and Sister Martinez asked me to show them how I found the record, I could not repeat the steps that took me there so quickly. I have no doubt that when I ask righteously for direct guidance, He will be there and answer prayers if I can continue to show unwavering faith.

I have almost completed reading the Doctrine & Covenants for the first time and my eyes have been opened to so much knowledge and the promises of obedience to our Savior. Here is just one promise and challenge made by Elder Bednar of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles:

 It is no coincidence that FamilySearch and other tools have come forth at a time when young people are so familiar with a wide range of information and communication technologies. Your fingers have been trained to text and tweet to accelerate and advance the work of the Lord—not just to communicate quickly with your friends. The skills and aptitude evident among many young people today are a preparation to contribute to the work of salvation.

I invite the young people of the Church to learn about and experience the Spirit of Elijah. I encourage you to study, to search out your ancestors, and to prepare yourselves to perform proxy baptisms in the house of the Lord for your kindred dead (see D&C 124:28–36). And I urge you to help other people identify their family histories.”


As you respond in faith to this invitation, your hearts shall turn to the fathers. The promises made to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob will be implanted in your hearts. Your patriarchal blessing, with its declaration of lineage, will link you to these fathers and be more meaningful to you. Your love and gratitude for your ancestors will increase. Your testimony of and conversion to the Savior will become deep and abiding. And I promise you will be protected against the intensifying influence of the adversary. As you participate in and love this holy work, you will be safeguarded in your youth and throughout your lives.”

No comments:

Post a Comment